Hypoallergenic Nickel Free Jewelry
Juliet&Oliver is committed to utilizing only pure sources to create the highest quality nickel free jewelry without any risk of health allergy or environmental harm.
ABOUT THE PHILOSOPHY
Nickel allergies are known to develop with increased contact and cause dermal irritation such as rashes. Over the years, it has become entrenched in the jewelry industry due to its low cost and effective strengthening and shine-producing qualities in alloy compounds. Mining of precious metals results in shattering consequences for both the environment and the local communities which become victim to inhumane labor conditions.
JULIET&OLIVER IS COMMITTED TO THE USE OF STRICTLY ECO-FRIENDLY NICKEL-FREE RECYCLED GOLD IN RECOGNITION OF THE HARMFUL EFFECTS OF MINING PRACTICES ON THE ENVIRONMENT THROUGH WATER POLLUTION AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEVASTATION SUCH AS TOXIC WASTE.
By limiting our resources to recycled metals and more specifically to recycled golds, we contribute to the effort to raise consciousness of harmful mining practices and decrease the global demand for ‘dirty gold’ extracted through dangerous open-pit mining.
Our commitment to nickel free jewelry production also stems from our recognition of the harmful effects of heavy metals such as nickel on both humans and animals. According to general definition, a heavy metal is any metal or metalloid that causes environmental and bodily concern. This is generally due to a high density concentration leading to toxicity (ie. carcinogenic or mutagenic). Heavy metals are separated into two groups – metals with a biological role in the body, and metals without a biological role in the body. The former become toxic when the high density concentration surpasses the necessary exposure to the body.
The latter, however, are toxic in essence. Nickel, as a metal without a biological role in the body, is a toxic metal, thus accounting for the commonality of nickel allergies.
Juliet&Oliver wishes to make Nickel Free engagement rings and nickel free wedding rings available for wear even to those with skin sensitive to nickel. Nickel allergies are known to develop with increased contact and cause dermal irritation such as rashes.
JEWELRY NICKEL ALLERGY – SYMPTOMS AND TREATMENTS
Have you ever noticed red, itchy skin under that gorgeous ring you just bought? Rings, necklaces, and bracelets are the weakness of almost every woman. But sometimes the jewelry that looks so beautiful in the store’s display window can cause an allergic reaction.
Nickel is natural metal and is often mixed with other metals such as iron that is used to produce stainless steel. Used in a multitude of common items such as glasses, pens, coins, etc we come in contact with it almost every day. The skin tends to react the most when it has prolonged exposure to the nickel-containing compound. Non nickel free jewelry that is worn for hours at a time can definitely cause a reaction.
NICKEL FREE JEWELRY SYMPTOMS
Nickel allergy is one of the most common skin allergies that exist. The symptoms usually start showing up within 24-48 hours after skin’s prolonged contact with nickel containing piece of jewelry. Symptoms that you may find are itching, redness, rash, dry patches, and swelling of the skin and blisters. Nickel allergy is usually lifelong, meaning it can’t be cured completely. The symptoms, of course, can be alleviated with the treatments we discuss in the section below.
Naturally, the best would be to buy only from stores who offer Hypoallergenic Jewelry / 100% nickel free jewelry. If your ring (or another piece of jewelry) causes any skin reaction, remove it right away and let the skin heal. You can apply an antihistamine or hydrocortisone cream available over the counter or if you have a medium to severe reaction it is always a good idea to check with your doctor who can prescribe a higher concentration cortisone cream. If you found out that your favorite ring, contains nickel and is causing you an allergic reaction, consider plating the ring in one of the nickel-free metals – yellow gold, sterling silver, copper, platinum or titanium. It’s interesting to note that white gold may contain nickel, which is why we do not suggest re-plating your jewelry in white gold if you have a nickel allergy. The only way to stop allergy is to buy %100 nickel free jewelry. Prolonged contact with nickel can cause an allergic reaction. Do not keep wearing the piece of jewelry that caused a reaction – the allergy will keep coming back. Here at Juliet & Oliver we use only the highest-grade materials to produce our Hypoallergenic nickel free jewelry. While nickel might be contained in the white gold, we also use rose gold, yellow gold and other non-nickel contained metals that are manufactured in a nickel free environment, so you can always find the ring that is not only beautiful but also doesn’t cause any discomfort to you or any environmental pollution.